May 24, 2018
As a principle, we’re committed to protecting your privacy. Aside from information used to set up your account (such as name, email, location, and credit-card information), and data relating to how you use the Service (search requests, for example), we don’t collect personal information.
WarWire’s Service only lets its users search for publicly available social-media information, which means that the authors of this information have already made it publicly available through the privacy settings of their own social-media accounts. Some searches using WarWire may therefore retrieve publicly available personal information. However, we neither store that information, nor do we scrape or mine social-media data. Finally, if a social-media service that WarWire connects to says we can’t search or gather publicly available information in a certain way (say, due to new privacy standards), then we will not do it.
- “Non-Personal Information” is information that is in no way personally identifiable and that is obtained automatically through your simple use of our Website with a web browser, or through the use of the Service.
- “Personally Identifiable Information” is the information that you have provided to us in order to deliver a product or service to you. In other words, when you sign up to use WarWire, we’ll ask you for some information in order to set up your account, such as name, email address, and physical location. Once you’re signed up and have created an account, we’ll also redirect you to your personal social media account pages so that you can authorize WarWire to conduct searches for publicly available social media information on your behalf. In the next section, we’ll describe in greater detail what information we collect from you, and how and why we use it.
When you visit our Website, we collect Non-Personal Information such as your browser type. We also collect personal information such as your IP address, which can be used to identify the computer that you are using, or to estimate your geographic location. As WarWire’s a company based in the United States, you cannot sign up to use WarWire if you are in a geography from which you are prohibited from doing commerce with US persons or companies.
To sign up for WarWire, we’ll need some basic personal information. Specifically, we’ll need your name, physical location, and email address. We’ll also ask you for payment information (i.e. a credit or debit card number, its expiration date, and verification number), which gets passed on to a third-party payment processor. WarWire will use the information requested at sign up to identify you when you sign in, provide you with customer support, collect monthly payments, and keep you up to date on your account and our Service.
Finally, after you sign up, a website administrator may contact you to ask you why you’re using WarWire, i.e. a use-case review. We do this in order to understand our userbase, give use-case specific tips and tricks, or to determine whether a given user or use case falls within WarWire’s terms of service. Please allow about 24 hours for this process to be completed, which will never count against your free trial usage period. (If there are any unexpected delays in setting up your account, we’re almost always happy to make up for it with a refund or free month of usage, on a case-by-case basis, of course.)
Once you sign up for WarWire and start using it, we’ll ask you some additional information. To begin, you’ll need to connect your social media accounts, through which all geographic and keyword searches will be conducted. So, we’ll redirect you to your personal social media account pages, where you have to enter your user name, password, and any other information that is required in order to authorize WarWire to conduct searches on your behalf, which is done through your personal social media accounts. This means that connected social media platforms will know who you are and what you are searching. We ask you to connect to your personal social media accounts so that you can conduct more searches faster. All of your personal social media data used to authorize WarWire searches are 1) encrypted during transmission to relevant social-media platforms, and 2) stored with a 3rd-party database provider that encrypts all database contents.
Once you’ve connected relevant social-media accounts, we’ll ask you to let us see your geographic location, as estimated by your IP address. We ask for this information so that we can give you search results that are close to you as soon as you start using the application.
To better support our user base, we may also collect Personally Identifiable Information about you from the following sources:
- Information that you give us on applications or other forms on our Website and/or Software; or
- Information about your transactions with us and our contractors and service providers; or
- Information you send us via any medium, such as texts, mail, phone calls, and social-media interaction; or
- If you use a mobile device platform to access the Services or communicate with WarWire, information transmitted from your mobile device; or
- Registration. As noted, in order to become a Subscriber (as defined in WarWire’s Terms of Service), you have to provide us the following information to create an account: name, email address, location, valid credit card that you are legally authorized to use in the purchase of goods and services, and a password. Without this minimal amount of information, you cannot create a WarWire account. Like other passwords, you should choose one that is known only by you. You acknowledge that this information is personal to you, and by creating an account on WarWire, you may allow others, including WarWire, to identify you and to allow WarWire to use your information in accordance with our Terms of Service.
- Customer Service. We collect information when you interact with WarWire’s customer service in order to accurately categorize and respond to customer inquiries and investigate breaches of our terms.
- Log files, IP Addresses and information about your computer and mobile device. Due to the communications standards on the internet, when you visit our Website we automatically receive the URL of the site from which you came and the site to which you are going when you leave WarWire’s Website. Additionally, advertisers receive the URL of the page you were on when you click on an ad on WarWire’s Website. As discussed, WarWire also receives the IP address of your computer (or the proxy server you use to access the Internet), your computer operating system and type of web browser you are using, email patterns, your mobile device (including your UDID) and mobile operating system (if you are accessing our Website using a mobile device), as well as the name of your ISP or your mobile carrier. WarWire may also receive location data passed to it from third-party services or GPS-enabled devices that you have enabled. Also, as described above in Section 2, WarWire receives information when you access third-party web pages through the Service. The link between your IP address and your personally identifiable information is not shared with third parties without your permission, except as described in Section 15. (‘Compliance with Legal Process’), below.
- When you use WarWire, you will create and enter search queries into our service, and view query information that has been returned to you by the Service. We may keep a record of the search queries that you have entered into the Service, but we will not maintain any record of the information returned to you by the Service. Search queries are made through the personal social-media accounts that you chose to connect to WarWire. As noted previously, this means that the third-party social media services that you search through WarWire will know who you are and what you’re searching. They’ll also know that you’re using WarWire.
- Use of Personally Identifiable Information. WarWire uses and/or intends to use Personal Information to:
- Operate and improve our Website;
- Provide Subscribers with the Service and other products and services that a Subscriber may request or that a Subscriber has expressed interest in;
- Facilitate subscription processing, reviews and analysis;
- Evaluate a person’s/entity’s eligibility for the Service or certain offers, products or services;
- Evaluate Subscriber interest and needs in order to improve the Service and make available other offers, products or services;
- Evaluate the types of offers, products or services we make available to Subscribers and potential Subscribers;
- Track use of the Services;
- Track use of the offers, products and services made available by third-party partners or advertisers;
- Provide customer support;
- Communicate and provide additional information that may be of interest to Subscribers, such as WarWire news, special offers, announcements, and marketing materials;
- Send you reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages, service bulletins, or marketing;
- Provide advertisements to you through the Website, email messages, text messages, applications, or other methods of communication; and
USER CONTROL OVER PERSONAL DATA
If you’ve signed up to use WarWire, you can make changes to your account information by logging into your account and modifying your preferences. On your end, you can also manually delete cookies, which are typically located in your temporary Internet or cookie folder (although this may affect product functionality when you access our website or services that require a log-in).
You can contact us to obtain a copy of your personal information that is held by us, and you have the right to request that we delete any and all personal data held by us. Just write us an email at email@example.com.
- Use of Credit Cards. You may have to provide a credit card to purchase other products and services from our Website. We use 3rd party billing services and HAVE NO CONTROL over these services. We will use our best efforts to make sure that your credit card number is kept STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL by using only 3rd party billing services that use the latest security encryption technology to protect your credit card number from unauthorized use. However, you understand and agree that we are in no way responsible for any misuse of your credit card number by a third-party.
- Use By Minors Prohibited. WarWire is committed to protecting the privacy of children. Neither our Website nor our Software are designed or intended for use by individuals under the age of 18 without parental supervision. WarWire is not responsible for determining the age of its users and has no liability whatsoever if a minor uses our Website to acquire goods and/or services that would otherwise be prohibited due to the minor’s age. To that end, WarWire encourages parents and guardians to monitor their children’s Internet usage.
- Links/Postings to Other Websites. Our Website and/or Software may contain links to other websites. WarWire is not responsible for the actions, practices, or content of such websites linked to or from our Website and/or Software. You understand that such websites may have their own legal documents to which you must agree to prior to using and that we have no control over these legal documents. As always, you understand that it is your responsibility to verify your legal use of a website as well as use of information from the website with the corresponding website owner.
MORE ON HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
- When We May Disclose Your Information. Except as set forth below or as specifically agreed to by you, WarWire will not disclose any Personally Identifiable Information as gathered from you on our Website. To operate our Website, to meet your needs for a wide choice of quality products and services, and for other reasons, WarWire may share Personally Identifiable Information as described below:
- We may share Personally Identifiable information we collect, as permitted by law, to companies such as credit reporting agencies, or servicing and processing companies, or when required or advised to do so in response to a valid legal requirement to release this information such as a state or federal law, regulation, search warrant, subpoena, or court order; or (2) in special cases, such as in response to a physical threat to you or others, to protect property, or defend or assert legal rights, to defend ourselves in litigation. In the event that we are legally compelled to disclose your Personally Identifiable information to a third party, we will attempt to notify you unless doing so would violate the law or court order.
- While your address with us is in New York, we will not share information with affiliates and third parties as described in this Section10. In addition, while your address with us is in New York, we will not share information with third parties as described in this Section, nor will we share information with financial institutions that are not our affiliates and with whom we do not have joint marketing agreements as provided in this Section.
- If you prefer that we do not share certain information with our contractors and service provider, as described above, you can direct us not to share that information by contacting us (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Security Policy & User ID/Password. Our site and all of our data storage and processing partners utilize various information security measures, such as internet firewalls, an intrusion detection system, encrypted data transmission, and operating procedures to protect your personal data, accounts, passwords, etc. This information is kept completely separate and confidential, unless you have given someone-else your user ID and password. As such, you should protect your user ID and password and NOT share it with anyone. If you believe your user ID and password have been compromised, please contact our technical support department so they can issue you a new user ID/password (email@example.com).
CAN-SPAM Compliance Notice. WarWire and its affiliates fully comply with the federal CAN-SPAM Act. You can always opt out of receipt of further email correspondence from us.
We make every effort to provide accurate and timely information; however, there may be inadvertent technical factual inaccuracies, omissions, and typographical errors, for which we apologize. Our Website, Software, and associated content are delivered on an “as-is” and “as-available” basis. WarWire cannot ensure that files you download from our Website or using our Software will be free of viruses or contamination or destructive features. WarWire reserves the right to make changes and corrections at any time, without notice.
Should you decide to use Software from WarWire, our online Terms of Service is considered the governing agreement between both you, as a user of our Website and Software, and WarWire, and it supersedes any other information on our Website, unless an alternate written Terms of Service is executed by you and WarWire, in which case, that Terms of Service will govern.